May 23, 2018
CEE congratulates 2018 winners of the ENERGY STAR® Canada Awards, which recognize ENERGY STAR Participants in Canada that have demonstrated excellence in promoting the most energy efficient products and new homes available to the Canadian market. This year’s winners will be honored at a ceremony with Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources, the Honourable Jim Carr, in Ottawa on May 28, 2018.
The awardees’ work is based in and builds on the value provided by ENERGY STAR Canada in its 17 years of energy efficiency success. The program is a voluntary partnership between the Government of Canada and more than 1,500 organizations working to use natural resources more wisely through greater energy efficiency. Behind each ENERGY STAR label is a product, home, building or industrial facility that is independently certified to use less energy and cause fewer of the emissions that contribute to climate change.
CEE is especially proud to congratulate CEE members NB Power, honored as Utility of the Year—Provincial, and Hydro One, whose subsidiary Hydro One Remote Communities Inc. is honored as Utility of the Year—Regional. Read on to learn more about their accomplishments in 2017.
Utility of the year—provincial—2018
Énergie NB Power
Énergie NB Power is the primary electric utility in New Brunswick and was established in 1920. They serve over 400,000 customers with safe, reliable and efficient electricity. They are focused on promoting the efficient use of energy in customers’ homes and businesses by enabling and providing new, value-added, energy efficient solutions that also reduce carbon, better integrate renewable energy, and stimulate the economy.
Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- A successful ENERGY STAR Day promotion and contest on social media that reached 310,000, involving a draw for an ENERGY STAR certified TV, as well as an internal promotion of ENERGY STAR Day with employees.
- Active and timely promotion of the ENERGY STAR brand through regular energy savings tips on our Home Energy Report, sent to 125,000 households in New Brunswick and the accompanying online portal which is accessible to all NB Power residential customers.
- Two successful product rebate promotions that promoted the sale of ENERGY STAR certified LED lighting products (among others), including in-store ENERGY STAR signage in 90 retail stores.
- Ten in-store events to promote ENERGY STAR certified product rebate campaign and lighting products.
- Broad and consistent reach in social media promoting the ENERGY STAR brand and ENERGY STAR certified products.
Utility of the year—regional—2018
Hydro One Remote Communities Inc.
Hydro One Remote Communities Inc. (Hydro One Remotes) is a subsidiary of Hydro One Inc. that generates and distributes electricity within 21 isolated communities in northern Ontario. Of these communities, 15 are First Nations and 13 are air access only. Hydro One Remotes proudly serves 3,600 customers. Hydro One Remotes is registered to ISO14001: 2015 standards and is committed to protecting the environment.
Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Developed in 2014, Hydro One Remotes offers a Mail-in Rebate Program to all customers within its service territory, promoting the purchase of ENERGY STAR certified appliances.
- Increased the number of successful applications by 73% (over 2016) by including the application form, program rules, and reminders with monthly bills, thereby allowing more customers to take advantage of the program.
- Issued almost $10,000 in rebate cheques ($22,850 in rebates since 2014).
- Added ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryers to the list of eligible ENERGY STAR certified appliances, which already included fridges, freezers, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, washers, fans and LED bulbs.
- The team also promoted the program with other groups who work directly with housing staff in the First Nations communities Hydro One Remotes serves, including Tribal Councils, consultants and government agencies such as the Department of Indigenous Services Canada.